Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body of the human beings which is extremely crucial for the overall health and nutrition of the body. The mineral calcium contributes about two percent of the total weight of the body and plays a number of functions in the nutrition of the body.

The Role Played by Calcium

1Calcium in Body's Nutrition

  • First and foremost, Calcium performs some of the basic role of the nutrition of the body. About 99 percent of the body’s Calcium helps to provide strength to the bones and the teeth thus providing the required support for the skeletal structure and function at the same time. The remaining 1 percent plays a crucial role in the clotting of blood, nerve functioning, and muscle contractions.
  • Secondly, Calcium plays a vital role in the absorption of other nutrients and how they are used in the body. Calcium is essential for the proper absorption of the other necessary nutrients, and at the same time, Calcium helps those nutrients to perform their role efficiently & effectively.
  • Calcium also helps in the prevention of a number of diseases and conditions. For example, Calcium reduces the risk of colorectal cancer and also helps in the reduction of the systolic blood pressure in the individuals with a high blood pressure.

Thus, it can be very well understood that Calcium is one of the most important minerals for the body. Calcium supplement should be taken by those who have a lower level of Calcium in their body to compensate for the amount that is absent.

Leave a Reply